Here's a few questions I always ask myself while preparing for an upcoming trip - what should I pack? How much do I need to pack? Am I packing too much?
And truth be told, I always overpack...and my friends make fun of me so much for doing so. They always exclaim phrases such as, "Did you pack for an entire month?!" or "What the hell did you bring?!" but hey, at least yo gurl comes prepared, LOL!
Because I overpack or bring essential after essential with me, I thought it'd be useful to write a blog post revolved around a to-pack guide for bloggers, since bloggers specifically bring items or equipment that the average person doesn't bring on vacation. So without further ado, let's get to the packing guide!
- Electric toothbrush or toothbrush
- Travel-sized Listerine
- Razor + Shaving Cream (sometimes, hotels provide complimentary razors)
- Pro Tip: I like to bring disposable razors on trips that you can find distributed at gyms or spas, or you can purchase one for a cheap price.
- Nail Clipper
- Bandages (hotels provide these)
Although this one may not seem like an ESSENTIAL to a bunch of people, having access to trustworthy and quality skincare products will make a huge difference in the texture and elasticity of your skin throughout and after your trip. If you don't properly take care of your skin during a trip, you will surely see the negative after-effects as soon as you arrive home - especially there is a huge climate change/difference at your travel destination compared to your hometown.
With skincare, it's best to carry convenient travel-sized products with you so that you don't take up so much space in your luggage! I've linked a few travel-sized products that I love bringing with me throughout my media trips.
- Vitamin C
- Current Fave: Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate
- Face Sunblock
- Current Fave: CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion
- Body Sunscreen
- Current Fave: COOLA Organic Suncare
- Body Moisturizer
- Makeup Removing Wipes
- Current Fave: Bioderma Sensible H2O Biodegradable Facial Cleansing & Makeup Remover Wipes
- Precleanse + Sponge
- Current Fave: Dermalogica PreCleanse Balm-To-Oil Emulsifyer
- Current Fave: Dermalogica Gentle Foaming Cleanser
- Current Fave: Instytutum Anti-Wrinkle Brightening Serum
- Face Moisturizer
- Current Fave: Dermalogica Calm Water Gel
- Eye Cream/Moisturizer
- Current Faves: Pixi Beauty 24K Eye Elixir, Dermalogica Stress Positive Eye Lift, BABOR Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
- Lip Balm
- Current Fave: Algenist GENIUS Liquid Collagen Lip
- Facial Sheet Masks
- Eye Masks
- Current Fave: DHC Skincare Revitalizing Moisture Strips
Individual Pouches (For Storage Purposes)
Until I watched Bellywellyjelly's YouTube packing videos, I was always that messy packer that just threw shit everywhere in my luggage. Nowadays, I realize the importance of dividing essentials into various pouches for easy access. Additionally, I used to (and sometimes still do) pack my essentials in a ghetto way through reusable Ziploc bags, but somewhere along the way, I realized that having unique and different pouches can really help you differentiate what essentials you packed in which pouch. A pouch can range from a bag with a zipper, button, or clasp - as long as you can close it and it offers ample storage space, it works!
I use individual pouches to store these various essentials:
- Makeup + Makeup Brushes
- Blogging Necessities (USB Memory Card Reader, multiple USB port, external hard drive)
What's In My Bag/Backpack
- Wallet + ID + credit cards + cash
- External portable charger
- Laptop + charger
- 1-2 pens
- Lip balm
- One pair of sunglasses
- Reusable water bottle
- Planner to organize collaboration deadlines
- Current Fave: Erin Condren's LifePlanner (Vertical Layout)
- Earbuds or headphones
- Neck pillow (recommended for long flights)
When Sharon and I shot these photos during our San Francisco trip at the luxurious InterContinental San Francisco, you already know that we brought all of our blogging equipment to create content! One of the most important things is to have your DSLR on you at all times to capture the perfect moments in time, such as when you scout out the ideal photoshoot location! The staircase and wide windows of InterContinental San Francisco naturally let in enough light to make this an aesthetic place to shoot - plus, there was enough space where we got to play with the angles a bit! I already miss staying at the InterContinental San Francisco and I loved how we had our own individual beds to watch Friends from while editing the day's photos on our laptops. Additionally, our hotel suite was very aesthetic and spacious to shoot additional content, and you can find other photos that we've posted from this hotel on our Instagram pages!
For those who don't like or are uncomfortable with carrying around a DSLR openly in public (plus it's not that safe to do so in sketchy areas), it's best to always bring a spacious and comfortable bag with you so you can put your DSLR away from the public eye.
- DSLR + memory cards + spare battery + charger + extra lenses
- Vlogging Camera + memory cards + spare battery + charger
- Google Pixel 2 (to take quick scenery/tourist photos)
- Laptop + charger
- External hard drive
- Multiple USB ports
- USB Memory Card Reader
- Planner to organize collaboration deadlines
Obviously, everybody has a different way of doing their makeup and to be honest, you don't NEED to bring every makeup essential out there - especially when you're a light traveler. Personally, these are the makeup essentials that I pack all in ONE pouch, but to each their own. You can bring as much as I do (or even more!), or you can limit your makeup stash to just simply eyeliner and mascara!
- Makeup Brushes
- Transluscent Powder
- 1-2 Makeup Palettes
- Eyelash glue
- 1-5 pairs of falsies
- Pro Tip: I like to bring one pair of mink lashes so that they last me all-trip long! If you want to be safe, bring two pairs just in case you lose the first pair or they get damaged!
- Lipstick or lipgloss
- Makeup Setting Spray
- 1-5 dresses + rompers
- 1-2 pairs of jeans
- 1-2 tops
- Five Panties
- Five pairs of socks
- One pair of athletic shoes
- Three pairs of workout outfits (hey, at least you brought them!)
- 2-5 pairs of sandals, wedges, booties, boots, and/or heels
- 3-5 pairs of sunglasses
- 1-3 purses, bags, and/or totes
- 1-3 pieces of jewelry (something that is easy to wear or pack!)
- One medium or huge luggage or duffel bag
- Pro Tip: Every time I go on a trip, I cannot live without the 360 mobility feature. Essentially, a luggage with 360 mobility is able to be easily transported and getting it from airport to hotel feels practically effortless. DELSEY USA is a GREAT store to purchase luggage pieces from - I currently use the 25" Bastille Lite Expandable Luggage in Black and 29" Titanium Expandable Spinner Luggage from DELSEY USA.
- One Purse
- One Backpack
Have an upcoming trip soon? Be sure to take a look at this packing guide to help you pack efficiently and effortlessly with time to spare ;)